If you sustain an injury during athletic activity, you may require the care of a qualified sports medicine physician such as Dr. Stephen R. Soffer or Dr. Timothy Gill. Dr. Gill is a primary care sports medicine physician, highly skilled in treating a wide variety of musculoskeletal conditions. Dr. Soffer also sees sports medicine injuries to the musculoskeletal system, and performs surgery. When considering what is a sports medicine physician, many people assume that this type of medical professional only cares for athletes. However, this is not true – sports medicine physicians also treat non-athletes who wish to be active or who have just recently started an exercise program. Furthermore, they typically see both adults and children.
In caring for their patients, sports medicine physicians perform a variety of duties. These may include:
- – Providing athletes and other patients with strategies to avoid injuries
- – Examining and analyzing the medical histories of patients
- – Evaluating patients’ physical and mental well-being following an injury
- – Diagnosing injuries/conditions using diagnostic imaging processes and/or laboratory testing
- – Staying in close contact with athletes’ trainers and/or coaches regarding their condition
- – Determining the most appropriate treatment method and performing any necessary procedures
- – Working with sports physical therapists to develop effective injury rehabilitation programs that are individualized to patients
- – Recommending a timeline for when patients can return to their normal activities to help them avoid a recurrence of injuries
- – Evaluating patients to ensure that they are fully recovered and ready to return to their normal activities
- – Conducting research in the field of sports medicine to further advance the technologies and treatments used
Along with other physicians, sports medicine physicians must complete years of training in order to gain the knowledge and experience needed to perform this wide range of tasks on an everyday basis.
What Makes Dr. Soffer and Dr. Gill Top Sports Medicine Physicians?
Now that we’ve answered “What is a sports medicine physician?”, we’d like to tell you a little bit about why Dr. Soffer is the premier doctor for Berks County sports participants. Due to his expertise and compassion, many high school, college, and pro and semi-pro teams have come to trust Dr. Soffer to care for their injured players. A few examples include Reading Express Indoor Football, Reading Rage & Reading United Soccer, and the Governor Mifflin Mustangs, a high school football team.
Dr. Gill specializes in primary care sports medicine and has expertise in treating musculoskeletal injuries, back pain in athletes, and concussions. He has treated athletes at the high school, college, and professional levels, including the Governor Mifflin Mustangs, Schuylkill Valley Panthers, and Albright Lions.
For Quality Care, Consult Dr. Soffer and Dr. Gill
Whether you are an athlete, a weekend warrior, or a retiree, Dr. Soffer and Dr. Gill are qualified choices for your injury care. They typically see patients in our office, but when appropriate, they will provide remote visits for diagnosis, treatment, injury management, etc. If you’d like to discuss our sports medicine offerings in greater detail, we invite you to contact us today at 610-375-4949. We look forward to helping you get back to doing your favorite activities.